Because of my liquid dinner… I can’t really function well without having a good breakfast.
Particularly, when I choose to attend an early yoga session or go hiking, I must have something in my stomach at least an hour before beginning such activity. Or else, I would faint!
This golden oatmeal recipe has been my go-to pre-workout meal.
The fact that it’s light yet, nourishing gives me a quick energy boost to get through my morning exercise without feeling overly bloated.
To save time, I usually make a HUGH batch that lasts for a week!
// ingredients (4-6 servings) //
- 2 cup rolled oats (or rye flakes)
- 7 cups filtered water
- 2 green apple (diced)
- 1-1/2 mashed banana
- 1/2 cup raisins (or other dried fruits)
- 10 pitted dates (finely chopped)
- 1-1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- a pinch of sea salt
- 1 tsp pumpkin spice (optional)
- 1 tbsp almond butter (optional)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds (optional)
- 1 tbsp flaxmeal (optional)
- 1/4 cup milk (per 1 serving) (optional)
- almond slices (optional)
// instructions //
- Soak rolled oats (or rye flakes) overnight.
- Drain soaked oats and quinoa and heat them with 7 cups of water in cocotte until lightly boiled.
- Adjust to low heat then add chopped apple along with raisins and pitted dates, following by spices, chia seeds, and flaxmeal. Stir and simmer for another 3-5 minutes.
- Throw in mashed banana and almond butter. Stir until combined and simmer for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat, let it cool down, and put into serving bowls. Pour warm milk on top and garnish with almond slices.