During the dinner rush, there is no chance of having a proper dinner for me or those who work in a restaurant. Day after day, I have counted on this liquid dinner to satisfy my food cravings and stay in balance.
My body doesn’t respond well when I have a late dinner. Sleeping problem bothers me if I happen to eat within 2-3 hours before going to bed. Working in a restaurant, It’s (almost) impossible to have a proper dinner at the regular dinner time (6-7pm). You would not only get interrupted.. but also look unprofessional.. You can’t even continue having the whole meal from start to finish. By the time you finish your meal, it may take up to 2 hours… Doing this to yourself too often, your digestive system wouldn’t feel so pleased as it has to work hard continuously. The same thing happens when you snack throughout the day.
Working long hours, you find yourself feeling fatigue by all-day activities and probably craving for food afterward. You may choose to have early dinner before your evening shift, but that doesn’t seem to work out for me… I can’t just have dinner before 5pm and not having anything until bedtime. So I experimented a few easy meals that I can eat without too much effort. Of all the experiments, ‘one’ kind of smoothies works best for me. I noticed that when I made smoothie from only fruits and vegetables, I still craved for more food. Then I tried adding more ingredients and got the recipe that brought me the best result. *Please be aware that my liquid dinner may not taste as good as you think.. It is an acquired taste after all!
// ingredients (2-4 servings) //
- 1 head romaine Lettuce (chopped)
- 4 cups spinach or other of your GREEN choices (arugula, kale, chards, etc.)
- 1 apple (cored and chopped)
- 1 pear (cored and chopped)
- 1 banana (peeled and cut)
- 1 cup pineapple (peeled and cut)
- 1 cup oat milk (or your choice of milk)
- 2 cups filtered water (If you like the thinner version, add another cup of water)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp chia seeds (optional)
- 1 tbsp cacao nibs (optional)
- 1 tbsp flaxseeds (optional)
- 1 tsp spirulina powder (optional)
// Instructions //
- Blend romaine lettuce, spinach, milk and water in low speed.
- Add apple, pear, and pineapple along with chia seeds, cacao nibs, flaxseed and spirulina powder and gradually blend in higher speed.
- Add banana and lemon juice and blend until smooth. Serve or store in airtight containers and refrigerate for up to 2-3 days.